Celebrate the 500th anniversary of the Reformation!
Check the page often as more resources are placed to help you celebrate this historic event in the life God's church. Stay tuned for more resources as we partner with other local churches in our region by sharing discussions, sermons and podcasts of the following churches and ministries:
Kendall Coffman, Lead Pastor at Lexington Community Church in Lexington, IL.
***Click here for audio of Kendall's overview sermon on the Reformation.
***Click here for video of Kendall's overview sermon on the Reformation.
Scott Boerckel, Sr. Pastor of East White Oak Bible Church in Normal, IL.
***Click here for audio and video of Scott's sermon on Scripture Alone, Sola Scriptura, when preaching at Bethany Baptist Church.
Daniel Bennett, Sr. Pastor of Bethany Community Church is Washington, IL.
***Click here for audio of Daniel's sermon on Sola Fide.
***Click here for video of Daniel's sermon on Sola Fide.
Ritch Boerckel, Sr. Pastor of Bethany Baptist Church in Peoria, IL.
***Click here for audio and video of Ritch's sermon on Sola Gratia.
Art Georges, Pastor/Teacher at Living Hope Community Church in Bartonville, IL.
***Click here for audio of Art's sermon on Sola Christus.
***Click here for video of Art's sermon on Sola Christus.
Kevin Sauder, Sr. Pastor at New Castle Bible Church in Mackinaw, IL.
***Click here for audio of Kevin's sermon on Sola Deo Gloria here at BCC.
***Click here for video of Kevin's sermon on Sola Deo Gloira here at BCC.
John Piper of DesiringGod.org
***Click here for a series of videos about the 5 Solas of the Reformation.
***Click here to get daily emails about the Reformers and their influence during the Reformation. Scroll down the page and find the "subscribe" button.
The Gospel Coalition
***Click here for ways to celebrate the anniversary of the Reformation.
***For sermon audio and audio of round table discussions about the Reformation from some of the pastors above (called Revive the Drive), click here.
The Protestant Reformation changed Christianity forever. In 1517, several prominent, godly pastors and leaders met and began a movement of Scriptural awakening that eventually led to the emergence of the Protestant denominations that exist today. The Reformers were convicted the church needed to return to teaching the original message of Jesus and the early church – the gospel.
The Five Solas are five Latin phrases developed during the Reformation to summarize the theological essentials of Christianity. The Five Solas are:
Sola Scriptura (“Scripture alone”): The Bible alone is our highest authority.
Sola Fide (“faith alone”): We are saved through faith alone in Jesus Christ.
Sola Gratia (“grace alone”): We are saved by the grace of God alone.
Solus Christus (“Christ alone”): Jesus Christ alone is our Lord, Savior, and King.
Soli Deo Gloria (“to the glory of God alone”): We live for the glory of God alone.
Why is it important to learn about church history? It fills you with:
- Instruction - Learning history matures you by rooting you in reality—in what actually happened as opposed to what you assume must have happened.
- Exhilaration – Experience the thrill of discovery as you meet people you’ve never seen and visit places you’ve never been.
- Perspective – Church history sheds light on present trends and circumstances, thereby going a long way toward explaining why things are the way they are today.
- Inspiration – Just as you feel stirred when hearing a story or watching a movie about an inspirational person, you will feel inspired as you learn about the men behind the Reformation.
- Worship – You will be amazed at God’s faithfulness through the ages. Ultimately, this is about the work of God and Christ building the church.
Join the celebration of what God has done!